It’s been a long while since I had a craving for curry rice. I knew if I was going to try to make my own curry that I had to try to recreate the cheese curry I’ve tried from my favorite curry place, Curry House CoCo Ichibanya! It was a perfect meal for a cold snowy night. And best of all, I’ve never seen Baby J demand more of a food like she demanded more of this! So it’s even got baby’s seal of approval.
I used Golden Curry’s mild flavor sauce mix for this recipe. Also, the recipe calls for ground beef, but I used one that consisted of pork and beef since that was on sale.
Ingredients: (Makes 4 servings)
200 g of ground beef
3 leaves of lettuce
1/2 cup of shredded cheese
1/3 teaspoon of grated garlic
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1/2 box of your favorite kind of curry sauce mix
Half a cup less than the amount of water stated as being needed on the box for the curry sauce mix*
As much white rice (calrose, or sushi rice) as you’d like
*Note: I need to experiment with this. I wound up with a pretty thick curry when I followed the recipe with half a cup less than the written amount of water from the directions on the box. Next time I’ll see how it is using the full amount.
1. Cut the cabbage into easy to eat sized pieces.
2. In a frying pan, heat up the vegetable oil and grated garlic. Once the garlic has been lightly sautéed, add in the ground beef and break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Next, add the cabbage. Sauté until it becomes wilted.
3. Add the water. Once it comes to a boil, scoop out any scum.
4. Lower the heat a little and let it boil for 5 minutes.
5. Once the timer finishes, turn off the heat. Add the curry sauce mix and mix it in as it melts.
6. Turn on the heat again, and let it boil until the sauce thickens.
7. Once it thickens, mix in the shredded cheese, and then serve the curry together with white rice.